Tuesday, September 26, 2017

My work is loving the world...Mary Oliver

Postscript to last Post on Friendship.  During that same two week period, I had another unexpected call from a long time friend from Upward Bound days.  Seemed like a lot of abundance in a short time. 
 
One other thing to mention is the special gift of lobsters we had while Janet and Harriet were here.  So many generous, special things happened during our time with them.  I am so blessed that they would come to see us from Pennsylvania. This is a tradition we have had for many years. I hope it continues!

                                                **************************

Being retired seems like a great change, and a chance to play and avoid the responsibilities that used to fill the middle years of life. It was a saving moment when I remembered a poem that our friend Ingrid shared with us when acquainting us with Mary Oliver, the poet. For me, this new definition of my work fills me with gratitude and joy.  I will share this poem with you and hope we can all love the world and all the beings it holds. All lives matter.

 Messenger
 by Mary Oliver 

My work is loving the world.
Here the sunflowers, there the hummingbird -
Equal seekers of sweetness.
Here the quickening yeast; there the blue plums.
Here the clam deep in the speckled sand.

Are my boots old? Is my coat torn?
Am I no longer young, and still not half-perfect? Let me
Keep my mind on what matters, 
Which is my work,

Which is mostly standing still and learning to be
Astonished.
The phoebe, the delphinium.
The sheep in the pasture, and the pasture.
Which is mostly rejoicing, since all ingredients are here,

Which is gratitude, to be given a mind and a heart 
and these body's-clothes,
a mouth with which to give shouts of joy
to the moth and the wren, to the sleepy dug-up clam, 
Telling them all, over and over, how it is 
That we live forever.



Here are some pictures from my recent "work" days. 😍


At Liberty Point. What a beautiful array of colours.

Early turning leaves.


The white wild rose is lasting longer than the pink.


The fall version of Fireweed. It is the same color as my mother's hair. 💕

This dragonfly stayed on the bench and share a lunchtime with us.

Fall asters
                          
     
Mountain Ash berries


A wise creature prepares for winter. It is cutting down birch to store the tops under the surface 

Of its pond.

Rose hips 

A collection of mushroom pictures after the rain the day before.




A beautiful bow made of clouds.

My work is loving the world and sending it joy and gratitude! I send the same Spirit to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment